26 April 2009

Why Not to Steal from a Photographer

My dad and I went out photographing yesterday. Our last stop was the Quaking Bog (pictures to follow another day). After an hour in the bog, we returned to the car and discovered someone else had visited it. While waiting for the police to arrive, we took pictures. Imagine that...

What they did:

Passenger window was nicely shattered.


What they got:
My 1 1/2 year old phone.
Phone charger (they were kind enough to put the cap back on the adaptor outlet after unplugging the charger.)
Camera case containing: telephoto lens, wide angle lens, a flash, a filter set, a magnifier lens set. The magnifier set was prehistoric. The other items, including the case were cheap, generic items...nice to have, but certainly not cost-effective for the thief.


What they missed:

My purse was in the back seat - semi-hidden but still visible from outside.
In the console inches from where my phone sat, there lived a checkbook, work badge, and a stash of credit cards and gift cards.

They took the most expensive filter OUT of the camera case. Thanks guys!

The trunk had plenty of power tools worth way more than the items stolen.


And a few more glass pictures...because I thought they looked cool.


7 feedback:

Grace said...

Liz, praise the Lord they were nice thieves! haha (= I had a similar experience last month. Someone stole my wallet out of my purse while I was on the bus. These other guys found it on the ground a few hours later. But they had only taken the cash, which wasn't very much (and all of my pennies!). But they left all of my cards, even though it would have been free access to thousands and thousands of $$.

Beth said...

those are cool glass pics! wow.... that's quite the experience. that's great that your dad was with you. Why didn't I know about this blog? hmmm.... I'll be back!

Sara Campbell said...

Oh my goodness! That's so crazy, and yet it speaks volumes of God's protection! Praise the Lord they left the "really" important things. I'm so sorry, though, Miz. It completely stinks, but somehow, somewhere through this God has a perfect reason and plan to bring glory to Himself! Hard to see that at times, but we trust His sovereignty (even through stolen phones ;-). Thanks for your post and great attitude! Bless your heart...

DF said...

If you lived in Argentina, you'd have plenty of these posts (and good pictures, if you still got to keep the camera). :)

I hope you make a lot of money with these pictures.

Sarah said...

Holy Cows, Liz! Jim says "That's a shame." But, my response is "WHAT. IN. THE. WORLD!" I'm soooo sorry that happened. Obviously, they weren't the most intelligent theives out there...but still...what a stink to have to deal w/ that! You did get some sweet action photos from the deal. And it's quite hilarious that they took out the most expenseive lens filter out of the case to leave for you...bah...silly theives. My Aunt always said (about theives) "Well, I guess they needed that stuff more than I did." Haha...what desperate folk will do for a buck, eh?

Jon said...

The pics are cool. Nice dry way of castigating the thieves for being, um, ur, well uh...stupid.

Andrew W. said...

Weird... Either someone spooked them, or they were inept. The glass pics are pretty cool!